- Full-day tour (8 hours)
- Minibus (8 people max.) - Starts in Sarlat
- Conducted in English, French, Spanish
- Duration Of The Tour - 8 hours
Some 15,000 years ago, unknown artists created breathtaking cave paintings that are now considered the earliest examples of French art found in the Dordogne area. During this day, you will learn in-depth about the fascinating art on the cave walls and the artists who made it.
Begin the day in Les Eyzies de Tayac for a guided visit in the National Prehistory Museum. Opened in
2004, this national museum possesses one of the largest collection of prehistoric artifacts in the world.
In Montignac, you will visit Lascaux II cave, a flawless reproduction of the original cave. This remarkable technological marvel opened in 1983. Using science and art to complement each other, the execution was flawless: a reinforced concrete shell was created using shipbuilding techniques, the relief of the cave was reconstituted down to the tiniest detail, and the polychromatic paintings were parallels the originals from 17,000 years ago by using natural pigments.
Finally, end the tour with the visit of Rouffignac Cave—the cave that possesses original and authentic etchings and drawings. The Rouffignac cave was first mentioned in 1575 by François de Belleforest in
Cosmographie universelle. In the 19th century, the cave became a tourist attraction. It was only in 1956 when preshistorians Louis-René Nougier and Romain Robert rediscovered the cave art and confirmed the art within the cave. After the visit to the two caves, we will return to Sarlat.
Entrance fees to the museum and the caves included.
Minimum of 2 people required (Apr 1 .. Oct 31)
Departure at 09:00 AM.
$134.00 USD per adult.
$134.00 USD per child.
Minimum of 2 people required:
Departure at 09:00 AM
Deposit and Cancellation policies
- Full payment is required at the time of booking.
- 80% of the total price will be refunded in case of a cancellation occurring and being confirmed more than 15 days prior to Tour Date. In case of a cancellation occuring closer to the Tour Date, refunds are not guaranteed. It is to the Tour Operator's discretion to issue a refund. Please note: On Special Dates (Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, Valentines Day and July 14) there will be no refund for tours purchased and confirmed, even if the cancellation occurs more than 15 days prior to the tour date).
How to Book
- Click the Book Now button.
- Complete the booking procedure.
- If your tour is available, within 2 business days you'll receive an email with the local operator's contact details as well as the exact address for your meeting point.
- If your tour is not available for the date you requested, we'll offer to rebook on an available tour, or we will refund your credit card.
- Print your email confirmation and give it to the driver/guide at the start of your tour.
ADD TO WISH LIST